Re: film score example

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: film score example
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 00:03:52 +0100

2013/11/29 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
> Janek Warchoł <address@hidden> writes:
>> What do you think about \at function that David wrote?
>> (see snippet here
>> https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/tree/master/input-shorthands/articulations-not-aligned-with-notes)
>> The syntax is a bit awkward, but this function already does exactly
>> what we want: allows to insert dynamics and other things in the middle
>> of the note's duration.  I think it's very nice.
>
> Unless you have a full score with filling material, it's not all that
> helpful without solving issue 3232
> <URL:http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=3232>.  The
> original issue in the original description, of course.

I'll take a look at it again, but i don't think it's a serious
showstopper.  The first thing to do is to get the right semantic
construct, and \at provides this (i.e. it allows to enter some objects
at given musical time).  Making it display perfectly is another issue.

>> Would you like to sponsor this?  For $20 i could add special
>> accidentals to LilyPond font and adjust \flat, \sharp and \natural
>> commands to use them (and maybe others like \semiflat, if i'll have
>> time).
>
> Why not use the Unicode charpoints, like B♭, F♯ and so on?  They are
> _supposed_ to go well with the text font and kern properly.

because *we* have the most beautiful musical font in the world? ;-)
I've looked at the output of
\markup { B♭ F♯ }
and it is *hideous* (see attached).  Totally unusable.

2013/11/29 Joseph Rushton Wakeling <address@hidden>:
> On 29/11/13 15:34, Janek Warchoł wrote:
>> Would you like to sponsor this?  For $20 i could add special
>> accidentals to LilyPond font and adjust \flat, \sharp and \natural
>> commands to use them (and maybe others like \semiflat, if i'll have
>> time).
>
> Yup, sure.  How do I go about sending you the money?

If you have aa bank account in EU, SEPA transfer will be best.  If
not, probably PayPal - but we'll talk about details after i've
finished :)
Initial tests confirm that it shouldn't be too hard, but i'll probably
have to clean up accidentals metafont code, which will take extra
time... :-/

> Actually, I wonder if rather than special glyphs, it might be better to have
> a function like \pitchText which takes a Lilypond pitch and transforms it
> into an optimized textual form: so e.g. \pitchText{bf} or \pitchText{fs} or
> whatever. (I'm using English note-names here.)

Hmm.  IMO, we should first fix \flat, \sharp and \natural and then
think about writing such function (since it would use these commands).

best,
Janek