Re: film score example

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: film score example
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 12:22:24 +0100

2013/11/30 Joseph Rushton Wakeling <address@hidden>:
> On 30/11/13 00:03, Janek Warchoł wrote:
>>
>> 2013/11/29 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
>>
>>> Why not use the Unicode charpoints, like B♭, F♯ and so on?  They are
>>> _supposed_ to go well with the text font and kern properly.
>>
>> because *we* have the most beautiful musical font in the world? ;-)
>> I've looked at the output of
>> \markup { B♭ F♯ }
>> and it is *hideous* (see attached).  Totally unusable.
>

> But if you go with text + Lilypond accidental glyphs, you have the challenge
> that the optimal combination will vary depending on the text font.  Not all
> of us stick with the default, you know :-)

Yes, but solving this in a systematic way would be a huge task.  I
guess we'd have to make the markup commands choose between various
weights of feta font depending on the weight of the text font.  Out of
reach now.

> Amusing example for the size and baseline problems you mentioned: try,
>
>     \markup{"Here are some accidentals: " \natural \sharp \flat}
>
> ... and see what you get :-)

yup, it's ugly!

> It's just that so far as I can see the ways one might want
> flat/sharp/natural signs to be used in text are sufficiently different that
> no matter what the default position and size, there may need to be tweaking
> for a particular use. Hence why I suggest a dedicated function for pitch
> texts.

We'll see.  Currently it's wrong in every case, so if we make it good
in one case and "better than before" in other cases, i'll call that an
improvement :)

Jaenk