Re: kerning/ligatures in opentype fonts

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: kerning/ligatures in opentype fonts
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:17:07 +0100

Kieren, Urs,

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Kieren MacMillan
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Does the font handling in Lilypond know about ligatures in opentype fonts?
>
> I don’t believe so… one of the many typographical features Lilypond lacks.

Urs' example seems to show that it does... Strange

>> Using the same font
>
> p.s. What font is that? It’s lovely.

Thanks. :) I really like it too: https://typekit.com/fonts/cronos-pro
I'm using it through typekit, there are some hoops to jump through to
get lilypond to recognise it.

>> Another question: why has the Umlaut over the "u" gone wrong in lilypond's
>> output?
>
> Please give your code — I’ve never had diacritical markings go wrong like
> that.

%%%
legendde = \markup { \sans \huge \bold { Aufführungshinweise } }
%%%

However, when i just had a closer look, either windows, linux or OS X
had done something weird -- the umlaut was present as a separate
character, but kerned over the U in the text file. The umlaut is fixed
now.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 12:08 PM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Does the font handling in Lilypond know about ligatures in opentype
>> fonts?
>
> It does. See attachment.

strange. which font is that?

>> Using the same font in Indesign and lilypond gives me the
>> attached output. Compare the "ff" -- it should look like the Indesign
>> variant.
>
> I faintly recall that this may be OS dependent (I'm running Linux).
> But for your example I assume that the default font doesn't contain the
> ligatures (I had to select a different font to get that result).
> Which would be a pity if it's correct.

i used exactly the same font in indesign and in lilypond. the ligature
is there, otherwise indesign wouldn't show it either... I generated my
PDF on OS X, i'll reboot to linux in a bit and then try generating the
PDF file there, see what happens.

>> Another question: why has the Umlaut over the "u" gone wrong in
>> lilypond's output?
>
> Sorry, no idea, this isn't dependent on the used font on my system.

see above, it seems to be an encoding issue jumping between three
different operating systems (but using frescobaldi on all 3...).

regards,
sb

--
Do not meddle in the affairs of trombonists, for they are subtle and
quick to anger.