Re: kerning/ligatures in opentype fonts

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: kerning/ligatures in opentype fonts
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 15:51:08 +0100

On 01/16/2014 03:38 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

If for a font "ff" leads to collisions, and the ligature is not
correct at that point, is it recommended to insert space or to
switch the font?

Yes, at least for German.

Uh, I mean you should insert space.  Virtually no font resolves this
`properly' today, I reckon.

You are confused about the problem that is being discussed.  What _you_
are talking about is not how to deal with a defective "ff" ligature, but
rather about the typographic reasons to distinguish betweem a _working_
"ff" ligature and two separate "ff" letters when typesetting German
prose.

Actually that's what I wanted to ask. Even if I didn't explain it too well, Werner succeeded in guessing my intentions... My question was twofold:

1.) Irregardless of whether a ligature does exist or not, what should I do if two letters clash? (Solution: add space, [even if they just touch slightly. Use with care.])

2. and more important to me) As a layman, I consider it as a hint to trash a font if it has collisions or uneven kerning. But if this only happens for combinations where a ligature exists [but should not be used for semantic reasons], is it still a sign of bad design? (Answer: not necessarily.)

Werner, I hope you agree with my short summaries of your helpful explanations?

Best,
Alexander