Re: kerning/ligatures in opentype fonts

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: kerning/ligatures in opentype fonts
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 15:05:50 +0100

On 01/16/2014 02:25 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
hmm. I wasn't actually aware of that. But it makes sense. ;)

Note that the German support for LaTeX goes even one step further: The
command

   "|

(to be inserted between the two non-ligature characters) adds some
small horizontal space to avoid glyph collisions.

I was about to ask in that direction. If for a font "ff" leads to collisions, and the ligature is not correct at that point, is it recommended to insert space or to switch the font? Or, stated differently: Should I consider it a sign of low quality of a font if consecutive letters collide or touch unpleasantly, even if a ligature exists?

As mentioned by Urs, there is even a (semi)automatic solution called
`selnolig' which uses a dictionary of German words to find and handle
such non-ligatures properly (this is, you don't have to insert "| any
more).

Amazing. IIUC, that requires the /text rendering engine/ to bring it's own dictionary? (How) does it work if the word is hyphenated at a different position? I thought the rendering engine is called with small units of text, such as the part before and after the hyphen separately; so the context is sent additionally?

Best,
Alexander