Re: How do I get Emacs mode?

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Re: How do I get Emacs mode?
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 23:42:45 +0100

2014/1/27 David Sumbler <address@hidden>
Incidentally, in response to David Kastrup's suggestion "How about
upgrading Ubuntu?", the reason I am sticking with Ubuntu 12.04 at the
moment is because it is an LTS (long term support) version.  I shall
probably change to 14.04 LTS a few months after it is released (so that
the worst bugs can be sorted out first).

I suggest not to rely on the distribution package, especially of a LTS version.
You can install the generic package. It's very easy, have you tried? Try and let us know if you have problems.
If you install it with sudo the binary will be in /usr/local/bin which is in your PATH for sure. If you don't use sudo it will be installed in your home directory and you'll find it only if ~/bin is in your path, which might not be your default.

For example, I have:

$ echo $PATH
/home/fede/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games

$ which -a lilypond
/home/fede/bin/lilypond
/usr/local/bin/lilypond
/usr/bin/lilypond

$ lilypond -v | grep "GNU LilyPond"
GNU LilyPond 2.19.1
$ /usr/local/bin/lilypond -v | grep "GNU LilyPond"
GNU LilyPond 2.18.0
$ /usr/bin/lilypond -v | grep "GNU LilyPond"
GNU LilyPond 2.16.2

Which means that I chose to put the latest development version (2.19.1) in the first path, the latest stable (2.18.0) in the second and the old stable (2.16.2) in the last.