Re: Indenting text block on title page

From: Guy Stalnaker
Subject: Re: Indenting text block on title page
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 16:43:38 -0600

Mr. Bruni,

The simplified example as edited by you does work. If I modify \halign #-5 to #-10 the column does indeed shift horizontally.

If I may be so bold, can you, will you, explain what the \halign values mean? For the test example using just "Text" as the text to enter, using #-5 and #-10 and #-15 moves the text horizonally to the right about the distance I expect, roughly equivalent to 5 spaces, 10 spaces, and 15 spaces. But when I use the actual text, a seven-word phrase, #-5 results in text so far to the right that half the line is off the right side of the page. I have to use trial and error to figure out that #-2.5 is the value.

This is obviously my lack of understanding at work. Why a four-character word moves to the right exactly as I expect it to yet a seven-work phrase of text moves five times as far thus requiring use of a *smaller* value to position the line correctly is very, very confusing. Also, why the - instead of a +. Intuitively I'd think - means go <-- way (i,e., back, to the left) while + means go --> way (i.e., forward, to the right). Obvious that is not what happens.

I'm sure there is a rational reason for this behavior and if you can explain it I'd be most grateful.

There are few things that make me doubt my intelligence more than dealing with lilypond arcana.

Much thanks,

Guy

--
Guy Stalnaker