Re: Exact stem length?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Exact stem length?
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 15:05:11 +0100

Am 26.03.2014 13:46, schrieb David Nalesnik:
Hi Urs,

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 7:27 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden
<mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Am 26.03.2014 12 <tel:26.03.2014%2012>:25, schrieb Urs Liska:

        BTW: Does anybody have a good name for that notation?

    pitchedGlissando
    pitchedStems
    fastScale
    fuzzyScale

    ???

    I think the last one matches the intention quite well.

Sure, that would work.  Or what about "stemmedGlissando"?

Also a very good suggestion.

It seems to me that this is a special case of using stems to impose some
sort of articulation (like bow changes) on a glissando, such as you see
all over the place in Lutoslawski.

Yes, or playing very fast scales without exact pitches (thus my naming). In the piece I got this from the first instance is commented as "quasi scales (non gliss.)"

Mike S. worked on this a while back, but unfortunately the patch is
marked "abandoned".  The issue is 1727, where he refers to them as
"glissando stems."

It's a pity, but skimming through the review process doesn't indicate there's a good chance to get anything from there. So the Scheme-function approach taken by Piaras should be a good start.

Urs

HTH,
David