Re: BreathingSigns and automatic beams

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: BreathingSigns and automatic beams
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 13:06:19 +0200 (CEST)

>> I can't believe that it doesn't affect spacing.  As soon as you
>> insert something visible into the score that has a timing value
>> (and a breathing mark definitely has, if probably not specified
>> exactly), it *must* take part of the horizontal formatting.  You
>> even give a hint how to position it:
>
> I've not seen it officially printed either but I have had enough
> used brass scores to play from to know one when I see it.  Also the
> myriad of teachers I had would use these 'marks' to show a beginner
> (like me) where the best place to take these breathes was based up
> on what was coming next or the rhythm of the piece etc.

I fully understand what you say, and similar symbols are used for
singers, too, however, I think this somehow contradicts what lilypond
is intended to do: engraving well-formatted music.  It's not
lilypond's job to imitate hand-written marks!  In other words, I want
to see some *printed* editions with such entries so that we can adjust
lilypond accordingly, if necessary.

In some Puccini scores, marks for possible breathing places are
indicated by a small comma.  Attached an example taken from the vocal
score of Boheme.

    Werner

PNG image