Re: Henle Music font

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Henle Music font
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 22:47:33 +0200

Am 12.09.2014 05:40, schrieb tisimst:
tisimst wrote
Hraban,

Thank you for this information. It's very helpful!

I'd just like to mention that the purpose of this work is NOT to make a
clone of the CURRENT, or recent, Henle font. I don't even want to go
there. It's just not what I do. I have a great respect all the hard work
that goes into designing a font and I don't want to be a black-market
copycat even though it may be "legal" to do so in the US. I can't control
what others do with Henle's designs, but that's where I stand on the
matter.

Thus, the current plan for the Henle look-a-like font would be to digitize
a nice design from the mid-1900s. I'm still deciding which one (for there
are many), but I should have that decided soon. I'll post some actual
Henle score images to get everyone's thoughts and recommendations on the
matter before I begin creating the font.

Regards,
Abraham

All,

Here are some sample scans <http://fonts.openlilylib.org/henle-images/>   of
Henle scores I have. Which one should I base the new font off of? I know
that there are even more designs, but I'll start with these (unless no one
likes these ones :)

At first glance, the Beethoven-1950 one looks a lot the Notaset design,
which Maestro and Bravura are based on, and the Brahms-1976 one might be too
close to the one Henle uses now. Anyone else like to chime in?

I can definitely say that I like the Beethoven 1953 and the Mozart 1956 most (with a small preference towards 1953). But I'm quite aware that this can be simply due to the fact that there are the scores I'm most familiar with. I'd say the Beethoven 1950 really doesn't look "typical" Henle, I probably wouldn't even recognize it.

I would really like to see such a font being combined with Kieren's Henle stylesheets.

Best
Urs

Regards,
Abraham