Re: \override #'(font-series . medium) doesn't work anymore?

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: \override #'(font-series . medium) doesn't work anymore?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:31:24 -0700 (PDT)

Schneidy wrote
> Hi Malte,

> lilypond@

> >:
>
> Did you and Karol expect “medium” to be something other than “normal”?
>>

> Yes and no:
>
> Yes because I've never used \medium before so I was expecting a font look
> between "Normal" and "Bold"
> And no because as I wrote this morning :
>
> So I wonder if LilyPond is realy involved in this bug...
>>

> Now I think it's simply the font that has no "Medium" size.
>
> Cheers,
> Pierre

Everyone,

I think the usage of the Ubuntu font family is what's causing the problem.
Actually, there are two things:

1. There isn't a difference between "regular" and "medium" font-series
styles within LilyPond. They are the same (except that LilyPond doesn't
actually recognize the font-series "regular", so you must use "medium").
Many text fonts do not have both variants, so they are treated synonymously.
Also, when you specify "\normal-text" in a markup, you are actually telling
it to use the default non-italic "roman" text font. So just be aware of
that.

2. As shown on the  Ubuntu font website <http://font.ubuntu.com/>  , there
is NO PHYSICAL DIFFERENCE between the upright (non-italic) shaped series of
"Regular" and "Medium" variants (not sure why that is since there is
definitely a difference between the corresponding italic-shaped variants).
Thus, even if it were possible to use both "Regular" and "Medium"
font-series, the Ubuntu font won't show any difference, at least in the
upright case.

And just so everything is clear, the main difference between the new
function "set-global-fonts" and "make-pango-font-tree" is that
"make-pango-font-tree" defaults to using Emmentaler as the music and piano
brace fonts and you can only pick the text fonts. Otherwise, they are the
same (even the underlying code is virtually identical). So, the "way to
specify fonts" hasn't really changed, it has just gotten more flexible by
allowing you to change the music and piano brace fonts.

Regards,
Abraham