Re: \override #'(font-series . medium) doesn't work anymore?

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: \override #'(font-series . medium) doesn't work anymore?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 17:56:03 -0006

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Neil Puttock <address@hidden> wrote:
On 19 September 2014 18:18, TaoCG <address@hidden> wrote:
There must be something wrong on your side. I can see a clear difference between Regular and Medium in both normal and italic shape.
Same here. Could be a browser issue.

I guess so. How strange. Does their website work on your machines? This is a little disconcerting...

Well, I installed the Ubuntu fonts and tried to access the Medium face from within LilyPond without success. Version is 2.18.2 on Windows.
Have you tried accessing it via 'font-name? That should work since it bypasses LilyPond's font selection code and funnels it through to Pango directly.

I like this approach (without a better mechanism in place) because you can add:

\override '(font-name . "Ubuntu Medium") { ... }

in the markup block whenever you need that semi-bold weight (not the best solution, but it's usable).

I know that there is some on-going work right now to make more of a "master" pango-font-tree that allows you to access condensed/extended, light/semi-bold, etc. variants if they exist. Not sure if it's going anywhere at the moment, though.

Regards,
Abraham