Re: Feedback Request for Music Fonts

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: Feedback Request for Music Fonts
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 04:37:18 -0006

Noeck,

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Noeck <address@hidden> wrote:
- Polskie Wydawnictwo Muzyc music font As you are often asking for scores with a nice font, I recently found scores printed by the Polish publisher Polskie Wydawnictwo Muzyc (PWM). This is the only scan, I found in the same style: http://javanese.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/2/23/IMSLP06555-Cantabile.pdf I don’t need it really. But it looks good in my opinion.

Thanks for sharing this. I haven't ventured out too far from the main German publishers.

- Stylesheets You offer some stylesheets on the fonts website as a zip file. What do you think about including them in the openlilylib git repo?

That was the original intent. I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet, but I still hope to.

- Stylesheets and text fonts The stylesheets could incorporate overrides for the text fonts, too. The tuplet numbers in Profondo could be bold, for example. That leads me to two more questions: 1) Can the tuplet numbers and other numbers be written in the same font as the music font? Does your machinery allow to take these numbers from Bravura for example and put it in a normal text font?

By default, the tuplet numbers come from whatever is set to be the \roman font. However, you can do something like "\override TupletNumber.font-encoding = #fetaText" to get the effect you want by using the music numerals instead! These will be bold, but not italicized because they aren't part of the font. Some programs can artificially embolden or italicize a font that doesn't actually have one of those variants, but not the Pango libraries. If a bold, italic, or bold-italic font doesn't exist, Pango reverts to the closest variant instead (if one exists).

2) Do you or does anyone know text fonts similar to the ones used in many old scores, like here: http://javanese.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/7/7f/IMSLP00115-Chopin_-_Ballade_No1.pdf with the characteristic narrow letters and a remarkably big difference in the width of horizontal and vertical lines (black and thick vertical lines and very thin horizontal lines)? I would be interested in any font shape (regular, bold, italic). Cheers, Joram

I've often looked for some nice fonts like those. A nice one I've found is called "OldStandardTT". It's free and supports an extensive character set including Latin, Greek, and Cyrillic:

http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/old-standard-TT

I'm actually working on a few right now that have a similar feel as those found in the Chopin score, but I can't say when they'll be done and ready for prime-time.

Let me know if I can help in any other way!

Regards,
Abraham