Re: Grand Advanced Stylesheet Project (GASP)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Grand Advanced Stylesheet Project (GASP)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 15:06:30 +0100

Am 19.01.2015 um 14:25 schrieb tisimst:
Urs, et. al.,

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 2:41 AM, Urs Liska [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think it would be easier to develop such a thing as a library,

Is this effort all about creating stylesheets (i.e., customizing the look-and-feel of scores via \overrides, fonts, etc.) or templates (i.e., the structure of the scores)?

I think it is about both, and you're probably right that this isn't sufficiently differentiated in the discussion.
My understanding of the library would be more towards the stylesheet part. And these stylesheets should be as modular as possible, either through what I suggested as a "namespace" directory structure or by making it possible to include individual modules.

Take the new fonts, for example. Different fonts tend to call for modifications in the output defaults, e.g. line-thicknesses or font-size overrides etc. And it would be great if we had a consistent way to include building independently blocks like:

1. page size
2. score type
3. music font
4. individual customizations

or

1. page size
2. score type
3. "publisher"
   (with "publisher" referring either to a real publishing house or to an imaginary style sheet)

I can see arguments for both and I think they would both be useful, especially for folks transitioning from GUI notation programs. Actually, more and more, I've started to feel like this is more of a necessity, but that discussion is for another day/thread.

I think this discussion is perfect, I just want to make sure we are all on the same page and driving to the same outcome that Kieren is proposing here. Ultimately, when it comes to templates, I don't see any reason why a standard set of these can't be included in LilyPond itself for the user to access, but maybe that's more for something like Frescobaldi. I mean, if all the GUI programs can do it, why not LilyPond? I know there are lots of examples in the docs (which is fine for me since I use the docs constantly), but to be able to open an actual file with a lot of the structure already created, where a user can then customize as necessary, I would think, could be very useful, especially to newcomers.

Hm, that makes sense too.
But maybe it would still be a good idea to provide templates as a library, i.e. something that has to be downloaded separately but which can be done so easily. There are some preliminary thoughts about a "Grand Library Infrastructure Project" (to refer to the threads title), and this would fit into this perfectly.
An editor like Frescobaldi could then *support* such a template (and a style sheet) library instead of incorporating itself. I think it would be a good idea not to tie such important enhancements to a single editing environment.

Urs

- Abraham