Re: instrumentSwitch and addInstrumentDefinition use

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: instrumentSwitch and addInstrumentDefinition use
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 10:17:29 -0500

Hi all,

> I certainly understand that as being the most common need.

And apparently the one we officially recommend in the documentation.  =)

> However I am not a composer. I am in the position of either adapting an
> existing book
> for younger players who may not be able to play all the instruments in a book
> or fixing my own book so the page turns are better maybe because of cuts.
> Sometimes I am just creating parts and maybe scores from existing hard to
> read parts.
> I usually want to just get music that already exists into the computer. Even
> though
> my transposition skills are fine it's safer to enter the music directly as
> written.

Fair point(s)!

> I would like any new features for instrument switching to suit my need to
> not always enter the notes in concert pitch.  I don't really think that be a
> problem.

No, it shouldn’t be.

Ultimately, I suggest that we design the basic mechanism and functions for
concert-pitch entry, and then add syntactic sugar to allow easy written-pitch
entry.

Thanks!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer