Re: After-line-breaking behavior?

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: After-line-breaking behavior?
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 17:41:03 -0500

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 5:30 PM, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> wrote:
> Is there any way to guarantee that the order of items processed through
> after-line-breaking is the exact order they are in the score?  I’m doing
> some fun things with bar lines, and I’m having issues because my scheme code
> isn’t getting them in the order I expect.  In the attached file, for
> example, I expected that I would get the bar lines in order:  start repeat,
> end repeat, start repeat, end repeat, final bar line.  Instead, I get start
> repeat, end repeat, end repeat, start repeat, final.  If you comment out the
> break on line 40, it gets even odder:  start repeat, end repeat, final bar
> line, start repeat, end repeat.
>

> I’ve tried with both 2.18.2 and 2.19.21 and get the same behavior, so this
> isn’t a regression – maybe I’m just not understanding how
> after-line-breaking works?

Perhaps this is an issue with Windows systems.  Using Windows 7 64-bit with 2.19.21, I get (with an added location to clarify the out-of-orderness):

Unbroken bar line: .|:(2 . #<Mom 0>)

Unbroken bar line: :|.(3 . #<Mom 0>)

Left-broken bar line: :|.(5 . #<Mom 0>)

Unbroken bar line: .|:(4 . #<Mom 0>)

Left-broken bar line: |.(6 . #<Mom 0>)

and (no break):

Unbroken bar line: .|:(2 . #<Mom 0>)

Unbroken bar line: :|.(3 . #<Mom 0>)

Unbroken bar line: .|:(4 . #<Mom 0>)

Left-broken bar line: |.(6 . #<Mom 0>)

Unbroken bar line: :|.(5 . #<Mom 0>)

You might consider collecting the barlines using a Scheme engraver.  I couldn't say whether you'd be able to manipulate them, though.

David