Re: repeat bars in all staves except one

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: repeat bars in all staves except one
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 10:46:12 -0400

Hello David (et al.),

> Is there not at least a way to use the existing bar line engraving
> tools for doing the job?

That is also my question.  =)

> there also is the question _why_ Kieren wants no repeat bar in this staff.

In the real-world score from which this minimal snippet was derived, the
RhythmicStaff carries a narrator’s part. Her part (at least in this section of
the piece) is notated as stemless quarter notes, centered in each bar, with a
fermata over top, and with the text as a paragraph in markup above. The other
[instrumental] staves repeat a given gesture for the duration of the narration.
Put another way, the narrator doesn’t repeat her bar, but everyone else repeats
theirs in order to fill up the necessary time.

(n.b. It is certainly possible that there are better ways to notate what I’m
engraving — and I may return to consider them in the future — but I’m already
far overdue on this commission/engraving, so I don’t currently have the luxury
of experimenting with multiple notation options.)

A possible complication: There are other sections of the score where the
narration *is* repeated [along with all music in all other parts]. So, for
example, a simple elimination of repeat bar glyphs in the RhythmicStaff for the
entire score would not be useful.

> replacing the stencil might actually be a more
> appropriate short-term fix than my reaction indicated.

I think a stencil replacement is advisable… but I failed in all the attempts I
made.

Thanks
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer