Re: Invisible glissando, best fix?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Invisible glissando, best fix?
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2015 10:36:05 +0000

On Sat, 2015-11-07 at 23:36 +0100, Simon Albrecht wrote:
> On 07.11.2015 11:54, Richard Shann wrote:
> > In some circumstances LilyPond leaves a glissando invisible:
> >
> > \version "2.19.25"
> >
> >   {
> >     d'' 4\glissando  cis'' 4  c''   b' }
> >
> > I looked up the issues list and found this:
> >
> >   { \override Glissando #'minimum-length = #5
> >     \override Glissando #'springs-and-rods = #ly:spanner::set-spacing-rods
> >     d'' 4\glissando  cis'' 4  c''   b' }
> >
> > but before I did that I just used a command available in Denemo thus:
> >
> > { d'' 4\glissando   \once \override NoteColumn.X-offset = #2
> >      cis'' 4  c''   b' }
> >
> > These achieve similar effects for this tiny example, I wonder if someone
> > could give me some insights into the merits or demerits of these
> > approaches?
>
> The first one is clearly preferable. Firstly, it’s more semantically
> appropriate, because it better matches the reason you need a tweak. And
> LilyPond much tends to reward staying with semantically correct
> solutions. Such also in this case:
> The second version won’t work at all if there is another voice with the
> same notes in the same staff(1), and in other cases it will break
> vertical alignment of voices, which you’ll likely not want.
>
> HTH, Simon

Thanks - I did some experimentation and found the alignment breaking
thing. I've put the preferred handling of this into Denemo.
About the

> changed code formatting; IMO this is more compliant to
> existent guidelines as well as to general usage (as far as there is
> such
> a thing in the LilyPond community) and easier to read.)

I can see you omitted a space between \once and \override, which seems
like a good idea. I was wondering whether there were even more modern
things (\tweak ?) that I could be using...

Richard