Re: [OT} Was "Re: Rounded beams"

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: [OT} Was "Re: Rounded beams"
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 10:57:25 +1100

Most professional typographers regard their work as a very refined art, and would be disappointed to be regarded as mere drudges producing glyphs that are just ‘legible’. Typography and fine printing and fine editions are a deeply appreciated art forms that have centuries of tradition. And think of all the beautiful art editions of Music. I happen to possess the L’Oiseau Lyre complete edition of Couperin from 1933, a rare limited edition and one of the most exquisite examples of fine music engraving and fine binding and printing I have ever seen. After you have seen and played from this, it is hard to take the workhorse editions seriously.

Have a look at a Gutenberg Bible. I am certain Mr Gutenberg regarded his work as art and not just cranking out a work-a-day functional text.

Andrew