Re: using Lilypond

From: Greg
Subject: Re: using Lilypond
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2015 13:21:17 +0000

On 26/12/2015 12:55, Jud wrote:
> Hi all
> First post.
> I have downloaded Lilypond for windows 7.
> I went through the test that confims that Lily is working.
> I have been presented with the welcome notes as well as
> a command propt box. Where am I supposed to start typing text?
>  The command box does not want to take any text.
>  Looing at screen shoots it seems that maybe another screen should appear
>  that has not loaded, one that I can type text into?
> As it is I can input anything anywhere. Much appreciated.
> Complete newby.
> regards

Hi Jud,

I'm using the Mac version but I think it's the same. The welcome notes
are contained within a comment block in the editor window:

%{ text here %}

Hopefully at the bottom of the window, you have some LilyPond code
starting with \header. Try modifying the notes contained within the
\relative section, and then typeset the file by going to the 'Compile'
menu and clicking 'Typeset file'. You may need to close re-open the PDF
file that LilyPond creates to see the changes you have made.

As Anders has said, Frescobaldi is a very useful editor, with many more
features than the basic LilyPond GUI.

Hope that helps. Welcome to LilyPond!

Greg.