Re: When to Use Pound Signs

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: When to Use Pound Signs
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 09:15:24 -0700

Jason,

On Tuesday, January 5, 2016, Jason Silver <address@hidden> wrote:
I wonder if someone would explain the purpose of the pound signs when indicating measurements?

For example, this seems to work:

  system-system-spacing #'padding = .8

But I often see examples with # marks like:

  system-system-spacing #'padding = #2

The later form (with the #) was how it _used_ to be done, as a Scheme requirement, but our awesome developers have been able to eliminate the requirement of prefixing numbers using # in recent development versions. Both, however, remain perfectly valid input methods for back-ward compatibility. Other kinds of values will likely still need # to work properly.

HTH,
Abraham