Re: When to Use Pound Signs

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: When to Use Pound Signs
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 17:30:05 +0100

> Jason,
>
> On Tuesday, January 5, 2016, Jason Silver <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>>
>> I wonder if someone would explain the purpose of the pound signs when
>> indicating measurements?
>>
>> For example, this seems to work:
>>
>>   system-system-spacing #'padding = .8
>>

>> But I often see examples with # marks like:
>>
>>   system-system-spacing #'padding = #2
>

> The later form (with the #) was how it _used_ to be done, as a Scheme
> requirement, but our awesome developers

David Kastrup

> have been able to eliminate the
> requirement of prefixing numbers using # in recent development versions.

{
  \override Staff.Clef.font-size = .5
  R1
}

still returns an error, as well as

\markup \fontsize 5 "xy"

So there are still limitations.

> Both, however, remain perfectly valid input methods for back-ward
> compatibility. Other kinds of values will likely still need # to work
> properly.
>
> HTH,
> Abraham

In general, whenever you are in LilypPond-syntax and you see/write a
`#' then the parser knows a guile-expression follows and will act
accordingly.

Cheers,
  Harm