Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 11:00:51 -0500

On Jan 26, 2016, at 5:40 AM, Chris Yate <address@hidden> wrote:

Unless they spend their lives playing on their own at home, musicians have eventually to play with other people who will have learnt a method of notation that's been good for 400 years.

Yikes, it’s not that grim.  One can always:

1. Learn to read more than one system.  (Bilingualism is not a bad thing, even for kids.)

2. Bring your own sheet music in your preferred system.

I do both.  LilyPond and this whole digital media thing make #2 much easier.  But I agree that opt-in is the best way.  So yes, teach children to read the traditional system.  Learning another one should be extra and by choice.

Cheers,
-Paul