Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 01:30:54 +0100

> Hi musicus,
>
> This may just be the result of forty years of performing and composing
> in the Western notation system (it’s always hard to overcome that kind
> of inertia)… but I find it easier to read the standard notation than
> your suggested alternative.

For "Western" music, I definitely have to agree.  For
dodecaphonic/serial music, I can imagine a more chromatic notation
making sense.  You'd still have to get the performers trained, though.

I remember some composition competition in Bochum where a winning or
placed entry (from the previous year?) was to be performed by a good
choir, and it had a ridiculous number of voice splits and rather
audacious tonality, and the choir ended up with most of the choir
members using tuning forks while performing.

With this kind of not-too-longish preparation from semi-professionals, a
different notation is not going to be helpful.

--
David Kastrup