Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: simplifying chromatic scale notation
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 08:21:53 +0100

Am 25.01.2016 um 22:19 schrieb musicus:

> See attached. Comments, suggestions are very welcome ;)

I see some problems for pianists:

1. I like to know where exactly I am at a given time. For example I’d
like to know “c sharp on second beat” or “thumb on e sharp”. This is
very useful in complex pieces like Sergey Taneyev’s prelude and fugue in
g sharp minor op. 29.

2. Such an even notation doesn’t match well with the uneven keyboard. In
our traditional system there are seven note positions per octave and
seven white keys per octave, not twelve equal keys ;) This unevenness is
necessary for fingerings.

(2a. This is also why I don’t really like Clairnote, Twinline, and
similar systems; though they might be good for symmetrical keyboards
like the Jankó keyboard or the keyboard of a chromatic button accordion.
Apart from that, I personally find Clairnote ugly. The white noteheads
always look badly positioned to me.)

Attached you can see my thoughts on three measures of left hand of
Taneyev’s already mentioned fugue. Black are thoughts on the scales, red
thoughts on getting both hands together. If you look closely you’ll also
notice

3. Harmonic context: Many of the notes make some harmonic sense when
combined with the right hand. This would be lost completely with your
system.