Re: Multi-measure rests and mark collisions ...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Multi-measure rests and mark collisions ...
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 14:49:29 +0200

Anthonys Lists <address@hidden> writes:

> My usual bugbear ... :-(
>
> I have a couple of instances where I have a rehearsal mark, a tempo
> mark, and a tune name all wanting to be over the same barline (this is
> an arrangement, where there are several tunes and each is identified
> where it occurs).
>
> So I have something along the lines of
>
> <<
> { s1 | \mark \default \tempo "poco allegretto" s1^\markup "This is the
> army mr jones" s1*7 }
> { c1 | R1*2 }
>>>

> However, the two "s1"s are causing the R1*2 to print as two separate
> bars :-( I'm also getting
>
> warning: MultiMeasureRestText has empty extent and non-empty stencil.
>
> in the log, which I guess is related. Any ideas how to get the rest to
> print as a multi-measure rest? The problem, from my pov, is that the
> first, markup, line is meant to be shared across multiple parts, so if
> I do s1*8^\markup, the text is centred over the 8-bar phrase or some
> other wrongness,

Hm?  How could you even have a compressed multi-measure rest when there
is anything like an "8-bar phrase" in parallel?

That sounds like a problem that cannot occur.

> The other problem I have, is is there any way I can shunt markup left
> or right (both tempo and text)? I've been using extra-spacing-width,
> which works a treat sometimes, and is dreadful elsewhere. It's been
> fine for rehearsal marks, but when I use it on tempo and text, it's
> been shoving the music out of the way, which then looks awful. I just
> want to push the text slightly to the right to avoid colliding with
> the rehearsal mark (and I have tried extra-spacing-width leaving one
> or other argument at its default +-infinity, and again it seems to
> work sometimes and be a nightmare elsewhere ...) All the horizontal
> adjustment stuff I've seen seems to be for in-staff objects like
> lines, noteheads, accidentals ... will they work on markups?

Some will.  It's probably easiest fiddling with self-alignment-X if that
is heeded, making one more or less right-aligned and the other left.

--
David Kastrup