Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.19.0

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: ANN: Frescobaldi 2.19.0
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 22:23:02 -0500

On Sat 23 Apr 2016 at 22:09:55 (+0200), Noeck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> print 'foo' vs. print('foo') is usually the most frequent difference and
> writing code for a 'common subset' in most cases requires at least some
> from __future__ imports to ensure compatibility.

All my programs converted perfectly there, both the () and changing
from >> sys.stderr to ,file=sys.stderr).

OTOH I never really got comfortable with the python2 hacks for
handling UTF I/O, stuff like codecs.getwriter(u'utf-8')(sys.stdout).
Programs that handled both binary and UTF strings were a real pain
to maintain. 2to3 couldn't unpick all that, but at least the python3
replacement code was/is much cleaner and easier to write and maintain.

But the volume of my own code is now much smaller than in the past,
and a fraction of LP's.

Cheers,
David.