Re: Replying to posts

From: Chris Yate
Subject: Re: Replying to posts
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 11:30:15 +0100

> The list is plain text only. So if you use a mailer like Outlook and your default is to send HTML format mail,
> you need to configure Outlook to reply to email in the format in which it was sent, that is, here, plain text.
> Then list users will get properly formatted plain text replies with internet style ‘>’ quoting. I am pretty sure
> Outlook used to do this by default, but now it does not, and needs to be set up to do so.

In my experience it is well-nigh impossible to make Outlook behave like that without screwing up the way it works* for "normal" email. It's better to just stop using Outlook. I find Gmail is generally sane, but it encourages things like inlining images (which I've been told off about here in the past).

On the other hand, if one is still using Pine for reading email, I think it's their own fault if they can't read a message. The world has moved on, and so should our tools.

Chris

* (which in itself is fundamentally broken and confusing)