Re: LilyPond logo?

From: Dona Mommsen-Ghosh
Subject: Re: LilyPond logo?
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2016 09:43:50 +0200

Hi,

please allow me to share my 2 cents…
 I'm an occasional user of LilyPond, and I think a Logo is a great thing in terms of recognition. However, I fear that Frescobaldi beat you to it. Since I don’t use Lilypond regularly, Frescobaldi fully serves my purpose and it’s thanks to Lilypond that the result looks great.

Frescobaldi already uses a waterlily as icon for the application (see tiny screenshot from my computer). For me, Frescobaldi has become a synonym to Lilypond. To all Lilypond experts who are ready to type a detailed explanation of the distinction — hold it, I’m aware of that. It’s just that from a practical viewpoint, I don’t longer need to work with Lilypond with emacs and command line and I know that there is also a Lilypond application for Mac… However, Frescobaldi has become THE Lilypond application for me.

Now, what has all this rambling to do with the Logo? Like it or not, the logo is already there — with Frescobaldi. IMHO and from a marketing perspective, adding a second logo only adds confusion, not a clearer branding.

Those who argue that the and the icon should somehow be related to sheet music: I don’t think that this is really necessary, because Lilypond has already established a certain brand image and reputation. The circumstantial evidence is that the waterlily is recognized even by an occasional user. Otherwise, it wouldn’t work to call an application “Frescobaldi” and then use a waterlily as icon for the app.

If there is a need for a logo for Lilypond and you don’t like the one from Frescobaldi, the community should at least work together with the makers of Frescobaldi to find a common, new logo. Please, please don’t create two different ones.

Best,

Dona