Forcing a DynamicText to appear inside the staff

From: Thomas Weber
Subject: Forcing a DynamicText to appear inside the staff
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 19:13:57 +0200

Hi all,

in old orchestral scores one can observe that engravers did not hesitate to
make more room in dense situations by moving dynamics into the staff rather
than putting them below (or above).  To achieve the same effect, I tried the
following:

{
  \once \override Staff.DynamicText #'X-offset = -4
  \once \override Staff.DynamicText #'Y-offset = 3
  c' \f
}

But Lilypond insist on keeping the dynamic outside of the staff.  I'm not an
experienced Lilypond user, so I'm most likely missing something.  How can I
achieve this effect?  (And are there counterparts to X-offset and Y-offset that
allow specifying an absolute position?  At least staff-position does not seem
to work.)

Thanks
Thomas W.