Re: A basic question about ties

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: A basic question about ties
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2016 10:01:39 +0200

Andrew Bernard <address@hidden> writes:

> Pardon my very base ignorance, but does this relate to the fact the \once
> applies to the current musical moment, whereas a tie spans several moments?
> [I know this may be complete rubbish.]
>
> Andrew
>

> == snip
>
> \version "2.19.48"
>
> {
>   \time 1/4
>   \stemDown
>
>   \temporary \override TieColumn.tie-configuration = #`((3.8 . ,UP))
>   c''4 ^~
>   c''8
>   \revert TieColumn.tie-configuration
>   s8 s
>
>   \temporary \override TieColumn.tie-configuration = #`((2.6 . ,UP)
>                                                         (-2 . ,DOWN)
>                                                         (-7.2 . ,DOWN))
>
>   <c' _~ g' ^~ c'' ^~>4 <c' g' c''>8
>   \revert TieColumn.tie-configuration
> }

LilyPond creates a TieColumn when it knows to have several ties (I
think).  That's the moment where a tie ends (not necessarily the end of
its starting note because tieWaitForNote may be active).

So you need to override the tie-configuration at the point of time where
the ties are created:

\version "2.19.48"

{
  \time 1/4
  \stemDown

  c''4 ^~
  \once \override TieColumn.tie-configuration = #`((3.8 . ,UP))
  c''8
  s8 s

  <c' _~ g' ^~ c'' ^~>4

  \once \override TieColumn.tie-configuration = #`((2.6 . ,UP)
                                                   (-2 . ,DOWN)
                                                   (-7.2 . ,DOWN))
  <c' g' c''>8
}
It's hard for LilyPond to do this differently since a TieColumn happens
at a single musical moment and because of tieWaitForNote, the ties
starting at one musical moment might end in different tie columns.

--
David Kastrup