Re: Problem controlling page numbers in bookparts

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Problem controlling page numbers in bookparts
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2016 19:21:26 -0400

Hi all,

>> I'm trying to control the page numbering for bookparts in a score.
>> In particular I want each bookpart start with page #1 and omit it
>> on the first page. Therefor I'm adding a paper block inside bookpart
>> and set
>>    first-page-number = #1
>>    print-first-page-number = ##f
>> (see the attached example)
>>
>> Unfortunately the second page is numbered 2 and visible, i.e. both
>> settings seem to have no effect.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong here?
>
> The possibility to set starting page-numbers for bookparts is
> frequently requested, but not yet done.

Is the following not sufficient?

#(define-markup-command (bookpart-page-number layout props) ()
    (let ((first-page-number (ly:output-def-lookup layout 'first-page-number))
          (page-number (chain-assoc-get 'page:page-number props 0)))
      (interpret-markup layout props (format "~a" (1+ (- page-number
first-page-number))))))

I use it all the time — along with some conditionals around it — and that’s
sufficient for my needs. It doesn’t allow setting the the page-number
arbitrarily, but I use it whenever I need the pages in each bookpart to start
at 1 and number sequentially from there.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

p.s. Of course, it would be great to have a much more robust and flexible
numbering system… so maybe Harm’s code is a good beginning in that direction.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: address@hidden