Snippet variations

From: Br. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Snippet variations
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 08:50:47 -0500

I have some snippets which I'm including in a TeX document (via lyluatex, not lilypond-book, but the process is largely the same). The thing is that for some of these snippets I need two variants which differ by the appearance of a single `*`. I don't want to have maintain two full versions of the snippets, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to structure file inclusion and/or tags.

One of the snippets looks like this (with the `*`):

\version "2.18.2"
\language "english"
aster = \set stanza = \markup{"*"}

<<
\new Staff \with {
        \remove "Time_signature_engraver"
}
{
        \key f \major
        \set Score.timing = ##f
        \omit Stem
f'4 g'( a' ) a' a'-- \bar "|" a' g' a' bflat' a' g' a'--( c'' ) \bar "|" a'( g' ) a'( f' ) f'-- \bar "||"
}
\addlyrics {
        To you, O Lord, \aster be high -- est glo -- ry and praise for -- ev --
er.
        }

The other variant would simply remove the `\aster` call (or have it do nothing). Does anyone have any suggestions for the most efficient way to do this?

Since it comes up almost every time I post one of my snippets: Yes I know about `\relative` and yes I know `bflat` can be abbreviated as `bf` in English. I find both of these make the musical code harder to read and thus will not be changing them. I value clarity more than keystrokes in this instance.
--
Br. Samuel, OSB

PAX ☧ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ