Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 22:37:32 -0600

On Sat 24 Dec 2016 at 13:06:23 (+1000), Craig Dabelstein wrote:
> Hi Lilyponders,
>
> Just a quick question. I'm taking the plunge and moving to Linux. Which
> distro would you recommend for running Lilypond and Frescobaldi?

I don't know where you're moving from, but I think you should choose
your distribution on what you and your computer find most comfortable
to use.

Assuming you're coming from, say, windows or a mac, you would probably
run a Desktop Environment, in which case the choice of DE could be as
important as the distribution.

OTOH with an older machine that's past being able to run windows,
Frescobaldi should run happily on X and the simplest of Window
Managers, like fvwm for example (and maybe a DE too).

The version of LP that the distribution supports can be made
irrelevant by downloading it/them from the lilypond.org website,
and I assume the same goes for F. (Debian stable, currently jessie,
will always bundle comparatively old versions of software.)
So I would say that you should sort out your platform first.

(I wasn't aware of oddities with OpenSuse Leap 42.1, nor whether these
involved only its bundled versions or all versions.)

Cheers,
David.