Re: Can an augmentation dot be parenthesized?

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Can an augmentation dot be parenthesized?
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 23:34:41 +0200

Am 24.05.2017 um 10:58 schrieb Robert Blackstone:
For two consecutive bars the time seems to have changed, from 6/2 to 5/2, which, as far as I know, was never done in that period.

This makes me think of John Dowland, who used bar lines in his songs, but quite irregularly (depending on the ‘phrasing’), so there are ‘bars’ of 5/2 and similar (IIRC).

There is, in fact no time signature at all but 11 of the 13 bars in the fragment are clearly in 6/2 (or perhaps 3/1) and 2 bars contain notes and rests in both staves that add up to 5/2

That leaves me with the choice: either to ignore it, or correct it.

There is no ‘standard’ way to proceed – you have to decide which makes more sense musically and from the context. Or you could ask someone who is well acquainted with that particular kind of repertoire.

Best, Simon