Re: Chords in LilyPond

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Chords in LilyPond
Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 09:13:00 -0400

Hi Simon (et al.),

>>    C4/3  / Db
> Corresponding to <des g bes c' e’>?

Correct.

> Adhering to standards would result in C7/Db, wouldn’t it?

*Which* standards?

1. In my musical theatre and jazz charts, you are correct: I would want C7/Db
to be written to the chord symbol line.

2. In my new “classical”/“art” music, it’s a different story. To great relief
from [at least some] new-music colleagues, I’ve begun including chord symbols
in my scores — either in the score only (for conductor study) or in parts only
(for pianists, marimba players, etc.) or both. In those contexts, I would want
the chord symbol line to contain C4/3 / Db (where the 4/3 is written “4 over
3”, like figured bass).

> Nor can it be output, as far as I know. What you mention, is a specific
> voicing of a C7/E, and doesn’t chord notation by design leave exact voicings
> unspecified?

Yes — that’s precisely my point. In a perfect world, we would be able to
(though not forced to) indicate a voicing in the input — be that chordmode or
<> or something entirely new — and then choose at output time what to do with
that [extra] information: in a jazz chord chart, output the standard jazz chord
symbol; in a musical theatre P/C score, output the standard MT chord symbol in
the symbols, *but write out the voicing explicitly in the piano staff*; etc.

I have no idea whether this is possible, or if anyone else is trying (and
hoping) to use chord input/throughput/output in the same way(s) as me. I’m just
throwing my thoughts into the discussion, because Charles wants input.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info