Re: OLL/snippets renaming (Re: Broken (?) snippets in openlilylib/snippe

From: Paul
Subject: Re: OLL/snippets renaming (Re: Broken (?) snippets in openlilylib/snippets)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 12:04:25 -0400

On 07/11/2017 10:35 AM, Urs Liska wrote:

I would like to rename some directories and move some snippets. In
particular the "notation-snippets" and the "input-shorthands" seem
somewhat blurred to me. And, with the nicer syntax of \loadModule I
would prefer shorter and less redundant names.

   \loadModule snippets.lyrics.align-on-vowels

is more convenient and expressive than

   \loadModule snippets.notation-snippets.align-lyrics-on-vowels

etc.

The question is:

How many people are actually using the snippets repository, and how much
inconvenience would that be for these people. I *can* take some care
about "deprecating" and redirecting includes, but doing this generally
would actually make the whole thing totally convoluted. So actually I'd
prefer a clean cut and starting over with a new and cleaner structure.

Opinions? Objections?

No objections here. Seems like a job for some kind of versioning or renaming of the snippets collection as a whole? ("snippets2"?) Then you could preserve backwards compatibility and get your clean break.

Or... this may not be helpful... but would it work to just move the contents of snippets out into their own modules, deprecating the "snippets" grouping, but leaving it in place, as is, for now for backwards compatibility? So then you'd have, say:

\loadModule lyrics.align-on-vowels

Not sure what the larger repercussions of this would be, as I haven't kept up
with how things are organized.  Feel free to disregard.

-Paul