Re: improving Janek's \dynamic function (for combo dynamics)

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: improving Janek's \dynamic function (for combo dynamics)
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2017 18:01:11 -0400

Hi Saul,

> Personally, I think the behavior would be better if it aligned on the first
> dynamic to appear in the markup, rather than default to left.

Perhaps better if this is a preference/parameter, with the default being
*left-aligned* not *dynamic-aligned*.
(I would personally keep it left-aligned, and then use the edition-engraver to
tweak the position of the rare "outliers".)

> With something like "poco f", it can be visually unclear where the f is
> supposed to begin — at the beginning of "poco" or at the "f"? That's a bit
> clearer of the dynamic itself is always the alignment point (though I prefer
> to always have the dynamic first for maximum clarity).

Gould (pg. 107) addresses this. There are definitely more ambiguities and
potential problems with dynamic-aligning such texts than there are "safe
situations" (e.g., with preceding rests) — which is why, like you, I always
prefer to have the dynamic first (when possible).

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info