Re: improving Janek's \dynamic function (for combo dynamics)

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: improving Janek's \dynamic function (for combo dynamics)
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2017 20:18:26 +0200

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

>> the here so far proposed codes fail, if punctuation comes into the game.
>> \new Staff { c''\dynamic  "poco f, but p sub. ma non troppo" }
>
> \dynamic "poco [f], but [p] sub. ma non troppo" ?

Hi David,

not sure what you want to say...

I tested the input-string
"poco [f], but [p] sub. ma non troppo"
with Lukas-Fabian's code and my own proposal, See attached pdf.

The first code doesn't recognize the dynamics.
The second does so, but the brackets collide with the forte-sign.

The third is a manually created markup to rebuild the appearance of the second.
The fourth points to a possible fix.

Though, the collision results out of the different fonts used for
"normal" text and dynamics. The forte-sign even sticks out of its
bounding-box. See: \markup \box \dynamic "f"

One could add a plethora of conditions to cope with the problem, but
wouldn't it be too ... much?
I've already mentioned the problem of overly automated code.
I'd say this case, bracketed dynamics together with normal text, would
need manual coding.

That said, I've no clue whether you meant something completely different ... ;)

Cheers,
  Harm