Re: First steps in Lilypond

From: foxfanfare
Subject: Re: First steps in Lilypond
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2018 15:07:02 -0700 (MST)

I checked with Gould book and upload an extract.

gould.jpg <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t5604/gould.jpg>

Thomas Morley-2 wrote
> Instead I had a quick look through some editions of major publishers.
> As a result I wouldn't say the end of the Slur should always "align
> itself with the top of the last stem!".

Actually you were right! But even if slurs may be prefered to be attached
closer to note head, it shouldn't go after the notecolumn!

Thomas Morley-2 wrote
> Engraving nice looking Slurs is always a challenge and no, LilyPond
> doesn't end Slurs beyond the last Note.
> Though, your example triggers some cases where LilyPond does so.
>
> Sometimes you could use details.edge-attraction-factor,
> details.free-head-distance, ratio, height-limit.

Nice to hear that the problem wasn't my beginner code but something else!
About the 'details' commands like "same-slope-penalty",
"steeper-slope-factor, "non-horizontal-penalty"... is there any place where
it is explained or do we have to guess what it affects?

Thomas Morley-2 wrote
> Ofcourse this also
> means LilyPond should be improved. Wanna join? :)

Who knows :) Still have to travel a long run first!

I will try the Openlylib tomorrow, last time I tried, I didn't understand it
completely...

Urs Liska-3 wrote
> Of course it lacks these. Actually this *is* the point about the
> example, how awesome it is without any engraving tweaks.

I understand your point. And I'm already conviced. Still, tweaking a score
with a graphic interface is pretty easy and could be achieved quite fast.
For now, I don't know how it is possible for me to be as efficient with
text! I guess anyway nobody can answer that for me! For now, I feel faster
to input the music, and much much slower to escape to the default output!