Re: First steps in Lilypond

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: First steps in Lilypond
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2018 00:34:05 +0200

> I checked with Gould book and upload an extract.

Thanks.

> gould.jpg <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t5604/gould.jpg>

> Thomas Morley-2 wrote
>> Instead I had a quick look through some editions of major publishers.
>> As a result I wouldn't say the end of the Slur should always "align
>> itself with the top of the last stem!".
>
> Actually you were right! But even if slurs may be prefered to be attached
> closer to note head, it shouldn't go after the notecolumn!

Well, I can't read that explecitely in the Gould extract. Also, I
found some examples for this behaviour, as already said.
Sometimes Slurs are very difficult to set, even manually.
That said, generally I'd agree.

> Thomas Morley-2 wrote
>> Engraving nice looking Slurs is always a challenge and no, LilyPond
>> doesn't end Slurs beyond the last Note.
>> Though, your example triggers some cases where LilyPond does so.
>>
>> Sometimes you could use details.edge-attraction-factor,
>> details.free-head-distance, ratio, height-limit.
>
> Nice to hear that the problem wasn't my beginner code but something else!
> About the 'details' commands like "same-slope-penalty",
> "steeper-slope-factor, "non-horizontal-penalty"... is there any place where
> it is explained or do we have to guess what it affects?

Some concise description:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/internals/slur_002dinterface
Not that helpful ...

> Thomas Morley-2 wrote
>> Ofcourse this also
>> means LilyPond should be improved. Wanna join? :)
>
> Who knows :) Still have to travel a long run first!

:)

> I will try the Openlylib tomorrow, last time I tried, I didn't understand it
> completely...

Well, openlilylib can be run in a git-repository. It's the recommended method.
Though, you can also copy/paste the relevant code, delete certain
openlilylib-commands and can start playing ...
Again, the code in question doesn't work with 2.19.

Cheers,
  Harm