Re: Ottava mark: edge dashed line

From: foxfanfare
Subject: Re: Ottava mark: edge dashed line
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2018 14:12:22 -0700 (MST)

Noeck wrote
> Thanks. The dotted-line sounds better than a dashed-line with
> dash-fraction zero. But the output seems to be the same and the issue in
> the top-right corner, too. The dots are not aligned. It just depends on
> how long the line is.

I don't understand your issue, for me it looks great:
<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/t5604/dotted.png>

Thank you very much Thomas for your time, help, and explanations!

Thomas Morley-2 wrote
> draw-line-markup has some properties you could use: on, off, probably
> full-length (it's #t per default, meaning the dashed-line will be
> scaled to full-fill the specified length, partly disregarding your
> on/off-values) and thickness (thickness will default to 1 or the
> grob's thickness)

In fact, I found those variables but I cannot figure out how to implement in
the function... This kind of command is still chinese for me... And I was
unable to find explanations about the ".bound-details" in the
documentation... or some similar code to get inspired!

Thomas Morley-2 wrote
> Please always use the docs of your lily-version.
> The link points to 2.18, but you're using 2.19.80

You are right. I work with so many internet windows opened that sometimes I
get confuse in all the documentation pages. And I was a bit surprised when I
copied the *.ly file I posted before, that it didn't work in my LilyPond
version... Now it makes sense.

I could never have guessed this could have been reported as a bug and that
the default output changed therefore! I personnaly like this kind of "old"
engraving style with dashed end corners. But I guess tastes may vary :-)
Funny though, I am also currently reading Elaine Gould's book and try to
engrave her rules in LilyPond. But in case of ottava bracket, I kind of
prefer the first default LilyPond output :-)

Next challenge: I'll try to code her exemple p.31 where she draw a vertical
line at the right of the "8" sign when it is too far from the staff.