Re: frescobaldi destination temp folder

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: frescobaldi destination temp folder
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2018 23:33:44 -0400

Hi Andrew,

> Using F 3.0.0

Is 3.0.0 available for Mac? I'm using 2.20.0.

> if you don't save the file a temp filename is generated. The output goes to a
> file in /tmp (Linux) which is a randomly generated name different each time.
> So how are you even looking at that? Can you explain in more detail your
> setup?

I'm running Frescobaldi 2.20.0 on Mac OS X 10.12.6.

1. I open the Lilypond file(s) in Frescobaldi, and once the first PDF is
generated, I open that in an external PDF viewer (usually Skim; sometimes
Preview), because I find Frescobaldi’s built-in viewer to be of lesser quality.

2. As I recompile, the external application shows the changes (on my second
monitor, which is very nice to have!). If I work long enough on a file, it
eventually happens that the external application stops updating on compilation.
At that point, I can look in the log to find the temp path that Frescobaldi is
using, e.g.,

   Layout output to
`/var/folders/l3/8qtf8wts5kj93q4w13f4qdfc0000gn/T//lilypond-4TMu7P'

and open the newly-compiled PDF in that folder. Beyond that point, no amount of
recompiling "jump-starts" the non-temp version of the PDF.

3. Quitting and restarting Frescobaldi always "jump-starts" the non-temp
version of the PDF — but after working on the file a certain [indeterminate!?]
period of time, the problem appears again.

Maybe I’m the only one this happens to?

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer