Re: New to Lilypond - Questions about using Python to structure Lilypond

From: Ben
Subject: Re: New to Lilypond - Questions about using Python to structure Lilypond scores
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 14:57:24 -0400

On 4/23/2018 1:10 PM, Garreth wrote:
I am brand new to Lilypond (and Frescobaldi), like a couple of days new. I am
a music theory professor looking to use some computer skills I have (I know
some Python) to aid my teaching and research. I am sorry if this is a really
basic question, or if it's been answered elsewhere in these forums. I tried
to find an answer but didn't find one that made a lot of sense to me.

Here are my questions:

Can one write programs in Python that will then structure and launch scores
in Frescobaldi/Lilypond? Specifically, I would like to write algorithms in
Python that, given parameters I am working on programming, can write scores
that can then be translated to and launched in Lilypond/Frescobaldi?

Could one conceivably go the other way, somehow send a Lilypond document to
a Python program that can "grade" and "evaluate" the score in ways that I am
working on programming?

Now that I think about it, you may actually find better success with Music21 - have you heard of it? It's a large collection of goodies that will tick a lot of boxes for a lot of interesting music-related projects. Works well w/ LilyPond as well.

Check it out if you haven't already :)

http://web.mit.edu/music21/doc/moduleReference/moduleLilyLilyObjects.html

http://web.mit.edu/music21/doc/about/what.html