Re: New to Lilypond - Questions about using Python to structure Lilypond

From: Ben
Subject: Re: New to Lilypond - Questions about using Python to structure Lilypond scores
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 13:49:28 -0400

On 4/23/2018 1:32 PM, Karlin High wrote:
On 4/23/2018 12:10 PM, Garreth wrote:
Can one write programs in Python that will then structure and launch scores
in Frescobaldi/Lilypond? Specifically, I would like to write algorithms in
Python that, given parameters I am working on programming, can write scores
that can then be translated to and launched in Lilypond/Frescobaldi?

That sounds a lot like the Abjad software project.
<http://abjad.mbrsi.org/>

And, welcome to the world of LilyPond!

Hi Garreth,

Absolutely - I highly recommend both:

https://www.python-course.eu/python_scores.php

and

Abjad - they are outstanding resources.
http://abjad.mbrsi.org/

Even though the first Python course link seems rather elementary with its example that was chosen, the potential is massive - it's inspired me to make quite a few pieces using this Python-centric approach. Great for inspiration and seeing the bigger picture when it comes to putting all the pieces of a score together.

Definitely check it out.

And Abjad, well....it's just mind-boggling awesome.
A real game changer.
Heck, I'm always finding new things it can do and it's so much fun to work with. Very inspiring.
The learning curve can be quite a lot at first, but when it clicks...oh it clicks. Wicked good stuff.

Good luck!