Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius

From: Karlin High
Subject: Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 13:04:34 -0500

On 4/23/2018 9:53 AM, Carl Sorensen wrote:
They had assignments that were to be done in Sibelius, because they could
automatically grade the Sibelius files.   That is, it was a method for
providing known information, rather than seeing what music was created.
Unfortunately, the same could be done with LilyPond; it's too bad that they
don't work with LilyPond instead.

I had a similar experience in an English Composition course once. The writing projects HAD to be submitted via specifically-formatted RTF file made with Microsoft Word. Oh come on, I thought - I can do that with LibreOffice. Carefully adjusted the margins, etc just like they said. Nope, didn't work - lost points for bad formatting. Word didn't pick it up like I'd laid it down in LibreOffice.

Back to topic... maybe this would be an opportunity for LilyPond, in software specific to music courses? Thomas Morley posted code once for auto-generating a sight-reading worksheet. If the reverse was possible - read pitches and durations from a LilyPond file, analyze and possibly grade for desired correctness - then I can imagine some lilybin.com sort of website that lets teachers put up coursework and students submit their solutions. No software installs needed on each student and faculty computer.
--
Karlin High
Missouri, USA