Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 23:06:51 +0100

On 22/04/18 22:22, David Kastrup wrote:
> Martin Tarenskeen <address@hidden> writes:

>>> The fundamental difference to drug dealing being?
>>
>> Good question.
>>
>> Adobe, Microsoft, Avid are "clever in an evil way" but they make
>> products that are most of the time relatively harmless, and often
>> quite useful.
>
> How would you know?  Have you read the 20+ pages of the Windows 10
> privacy agreement?  Or do you just assume?

I'm not sure that the real problem is proprietary software but is
proprietary formats.  If company A makes a product that saves me money
through efficiencies, then it's worth buying just like buying apples
from Asda.  If company B offers a product that cannot be read by any
other product, then that is akin to getting you hooked on drugs.

One reason for always using LibreOffice is that the file formats are
publicly documented.  If LO folds then ultimately I, or another company,
can still read the files.  Likewise Lily; ASCII text files will be
readable indefinitely (assuming the media can be accessed) and with the
source and the manual you can recreate in any form you want.