Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: Lilypond <-> Sibelius
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 18:18:08 +0100

On 22/04/18 17:46, Ben wrote:
> On 4/22/2018 12:06 PM, J Martin Rushton wrote:
>> Thanks all for the suggestions.
>>
>> Ben: I think he is required to use Sibelius at University that appears
>> to be all that they have.  When he was still at school the same applied.
>>  Whilst it would be nice if the uni offered other products, I suspect
>> the learning curve for the staff would be too steep if students actually
>> thought for themselves. ;-)
>>
>> Once again, thanks all
>>
>> Martin
>>

> Hi Martin,
>
> Happy to help.
>
> Hmm, that's too bad though that he is forced to use Sibelius. That seems
> strange to me.
>
> When I was doing my undergraduate work in Theory/Composition, the
> professor used Finale and a few university-labs had Finale pre-installed
> on the computers for sure: but when it came to what program we the
> students *had to* use, there was no rule at all.
>
> We all handed in our assignments on manuscript paper, printed out from
> whatever program we chose. Or handwritten ;)
> As long as it was on score paper, the professor did not care what
> software we used.
>
> Do all students have their own university-computer for the class, and
> that has Sibelius on it? Just curious.

No, they use general access ones across the campus which are licensed
for Sib and typically they store work on memory sticks.*  I don't know
what the provision is within the Music department though.  Evidently
their own laptops are not licensed for Sib even if within the campus.

*Don't get me started on the advisability of this though!