Re: spacer rest *

From: Gianmaria Lari
Subject: Re: spacer rest *
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 10:53:48 +0200

On 25 April 2018 at 10:09, Gianmaria Lari <address@hidden> wrote:
I don't understand the difference between s8 8 8 and s8*3.

For example have a look to the following code that engrave two scores:

\version "2.19.81"
rh = \fixed c'{g8 8 8 8}

dyn = { s8 \> 8 8 8 \!}
{ << \rh \new Dynamics \dyn >> }

dyn = { s8 \> 8*3 \!}
{ << \rh \new Dynamics \dyn >> }

These are the resulting scores:

I expected that dynamics would be the same. Why they are not?
Thank you, g.

I made some test with the code above and discovered something that maybe for you all was clear but it wasn't for me. Have a look to the following code:

\version "2.19.81"
\score {
  \new Voice <<
    {f4 g a b}
    {s4\< 4 4 4\!}

  \layout {}
}

I didn't expect to see this output:

If I understood correctly this is the fact that spacer rest (and normal rest) does not "propagate".

To fix it I found two different ways.
First one:

\version "2.19.81"
\score {
  \new Voice <<
    {f4 g a b}
    {s4\< s4 s4 s4\!}

  \layout {}
}

... and second one (but I'm not sure it is "correct" even if it compiles and works...)

\version "2.19.81"
\score {
  \new Voice <<
    {f4 g a b}
    \new Dynamics {s4\< 4 4 4\!}

  \layout {}
}

Any comments?

And.... why spacer rests and rests don't "propagate" like note?

Thank you, g.