Re: Intervals enharmony question

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Intervals enharmony question
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 20:11:25 +0100

On 30/04/18 14:50, Hans Åberg wrote:

>> On 29 Apr 2018, at 22:17, Jacques Menu Muzhic <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> OK, now everything is clear, it’s precisely on jazz chords I’m working.
>
> FYI, I recall the Mehegan books on jazz improvisation applying enharmonic
> equivalents freely. The Blatter books on instrumentation suggests applying
> them to simplify for harpists, which will save time and money. But orchestral
> instruments depart from Pythagorean tuning, not E12, so they are not
> equivalent, differing by a comma of about 20 cents.

Which actually matters how?

Apart from the violins and the trombone, most instruments just play the
pitch to which they are tuned, so Bbb and A are the same fingering, and
the same note.

Yes I know most decent wind musicians can "bend" the tuning, but surely
they'll bend it by ear into tune, not to some arbitrary note name.

Cheers,
Wol